2016 is just days away, so it is time to start thinking about your New Year’s Resolution. According to Nielsen, a consumer research firm, the Top 10 New Year’s Resolutions in 2015 were:
- Stay fit and healthy
- Lose weight
- Enjoy life to the fullest
- Spend less, save more
- Spend more time with family and friends
- Get organized
- Will not make any resolutions
- Learn something new/ new hobby
- Travel more
- Read more
Additionally in 201 5, Statistic Brain reported only 45% of Americans made a New Year’s Resolution with only 8% of them successfully achieving their resolution, and the remaining 92% losing motivation after the first two weeks. We say it every year, “This year will be the year that I finally follow through with my resolution” but it is the same cycle over and over again, you are committed in the beginning and then drop out at the end. Maybe, it is time to start re-evaluating your resolution and choose something more attainable, like number 6 on our list “Get Organized”! Being organized is a good start to helping you achieve all of your other new year’s resolutions, whether it be organizing your priorities or your home. It can help you with your goal of weight loss by freeing up some space in your living room to accommodate an area for an exercise machine or give you ample room to do a workout video. It also helps relieving stress that is caused by lots of clutter. Here are 4 easy steps to help in successfully achieving your New Year’s Resolution of getting organized:
Step 1: Say Farewell to the Holidays
Vowing to achieve and stay organized is a major task and takes a lot of energy, therefore it pays off to start with smaller tasks and then work your way up. An easy first task is to pack up your holiday decorations. This will allow you to get rid of all the unnecessary clutter and give you a fresh base to start organizing the rest of the house. Invest in some storage bins in order to safely package your items and find a place to store them that is accessible and easy to find for next season, whether it be in a hall closet, attic, basement, or even a storage unit. Doing this now will also help you with packaging and storing decorations for all of the holidays.
Step 2: Go through your wardrobe:
Once all those decorations are packed away, it is time to start on the next task, and that is your personal closet. It is said that we follow the 80-20 rule with regard to our clothes; we wear 20% of our clothing 80% of the time. Think back to the last year, if you hadn’t worn a particular item at all, then toss it. Or better yet donate them to your nearest Salvation Army or Goodwill stores. If you feel like you still have too many clothes or cannot fathom parting with any, consider separating them into 2 categories, summer and winter, and then moving one out of your closet until it is needed. You can find another location in your home, or you can consider renting a climate controlled storage unit to ensure that your clothes are kept in a cool, clean, dry and dark place at all times.
Step 3: Find a home for every item:
Next it is time to make sure that everything in your home has its own designated space. Finding these areas can help you determine what it is you actually need/ want. If you find that there is simply too much extra stuff that you cannot accommodate for, it means you need to either get rid of it, or find another place to put them. Again, this is where having a storage unit can really come in handy, it allows you to keep your things safe and secure until you need them again without having to give it away!
Step 4: Make a long-term commitment:
Once you finish steps 1-3, you are already well on your way to realizing your New Year’s Resolution, however the hardest part is to keep everything organized. Trying to change your lifestyle is difficult, however there are many tools to keep you on track. Take advantage of the hundreds of helpful blogs and websites that offer great tips and tricks. You can also create a weekly cleaning schedule to help make sure that you are keeping your house clean. Lastly, get a calendar or planner so you can write down everything that you will be needing to do on a particular day, including your cleaning schedule. This will not only help with keeping your house organized, but also yourself!
U-Stor-It Beverly wishes you a happy organizing for the end of the holiday season and good luck with all your New Year’s Resolutions! Make sure to check out our website to discover the perfect storage unit for your storage needs.